13 July 2007

Tempe

Tempe or Tempeh is part of Malay cuisine in Malaysia. Often sold in most food outlets as an alternative source of protein and most of the time served deep fried. I found out about tempe while I was in sceondary school and it became one of my favourite food until today. I went to the market one day and found out that tempe was sold for just RM1.00 per piece. I was shocked and began to explore and experiment with tempe.

Tempe packaging

The tempe sold at my place is wrapped with banana leaves. I bought some back and started to experiment marinating tempe with different spices. I tried marinating with salt, turmeric powder and chilli powder for a few hours before deep frying. It was delicious and healthy. I even tried to marinate it with just salt n pepper and coat lightly with corn flour. It just blew my brains as tempe worked magic with different marination and all of them were delicious. Tempe has a deep bean flavour after cooked and with salt alone, you can unlock its full flavour. Although tempe might not be pleasant when it is raw, I assure you that it taste good after being cooked.

Tempe is the cheese of the South East Asia. Tempe is made by fermenting whole soya beans into a soya bean cake. There are a few versions of tempe. Ever wondered why tempe is not famous globally? I guess that the Indonesians doesn't know how to market their product to the world unlike the Caucasians. Cheese is one of the products of the Caucasians which is sold and eaten nearly everywhere in the world. How did they manage to do this? They have the resources and the skills needed to make cheese a must have product in every house. Let's hope tempe can make it globally too.

Asian cheese

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Tempeh does be made and sold all over the world.

You can find more information about tempeh via the links collected on this website:

http://www.tempeh.idv.tw/